Frieze Masters presents a unique perspective on the relationship between old and new art and presents over 90 of the world’s leading galleries. The speakers taking part in Frieze Masters Talks are Cecily Brown & Nicholas Penny, Glenn Brown & Bice Curiger and Luc Tuymans & Dominique de Font-Réaulx, forming an integral part of the inaugural edition of the fair. The talks programme at Frieze Masters is intended to describe how contemporary artists engage with art from ancient to modern and will consider what remains relevant in the present by discussing not only how artists perceive historical collections but also the role that this encounter plays in their work.
Frieze Masters talks brings together three leading international painters with directors and curators from some of the world’s most renowned museums, exploring the dialogue between art, past and present. Cecily Brown will reveal the thinking behind her reinterpretations of traditional imagery and subject matter with Nicholas Penny (Director of National Gallery, London); Luc Tuymans will give an insight into the decisions he makes in his depictions of significant moments in history with Dominique de Font- Réaulx (Senior Curator at Museé de Louvre, Paris); and Glenn Brown will discuss his appropriation of historical artwork with Bice Curiger (Curator at Kunsthaus Zürich and Editor-in-Chief, Parkett).
Frieze Masters Talks will be hosted in a bespoke auditorium at 3pm on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday of the fair. The inaugural edition of Frieze Masters will take place from the 11th-14th October in Regent’s Park, London and features over 90 of the world’s leading galleries, from ancient to modern.
Frieze Masters, 11th until 14th October 2012, Regent’s Park, London, NW1 4NR. www. friezemasters.com
1. Robert Motherwell, Africa No. 6, 1975. Courtesy of Bernard Jacobson Gallery
2. Andy Warhol, n.t. (Running Girl), 1950. Courtesy of Daniel Blau Catalogues. Copyright © Andy Warhol Foundation For The Visual Arts, Inc.
3. Kota Reliquary Guardian, Gabon. Courtesy of Entwistle London
4. Lucas Cranach The Elder (and workshop), Kronach 1472 – Weimar 1553, Portrait of King Christian II of Denmark. Courtesy of De Jonckheere
5. Giovanni di Marco, called Giovanni dal Ponte, Madonna and Child enthroned between Saints Lawrence and Anastasia. Moretti Fine Art Ltd, London
Posted on 10 September 2012